Friday, October 30, 2015

IN TRAINING

I put on my snorkel mask.  Does anyone look good in these?  The pool at the Y has no fish, turtles, or sea plants.  But it’s the easiest place for me to get into shape for January’s trip to Hawaii. 



 Our Road Scholar group will be snorkeling in Lanai.  “Thousand foot sea cliffs line the shore and ancient volcanic plugs sit both above and below the water surface as host to a wide diversity of marine life.”
 

We’ll "skiff to Kealakekua Bay, where Captain Cook was slain in 1779, for some of the island’s best snorkeling."  Presumably the current residents have gotten over their animosity. 


But here’s the most exciting snorkeling we’ll do:  “anchor at an offshore location for a thrilling night snorkel with Giant Pacific Manta rays. Underwater lights attract plankton, which in turn attract feeding Manta Rays.”

So it’s not just getting my muscles in shape.  I need to work on the relaxing rhythm of breathing in and out through my snorkel, remembering how to blow out water that comes in the snorkel tube.   I want to use my underwater camera without flailing around in semi-panic. 

Awkward at first, I begin to meditate on the gift of breathing, in and out.  In...  Out...   I am thankful that my eyes can see through the water, that my arms and legs can do a strong frog kick.  I snorkel 30 minutes before the Water Arthritis class.  I’ll gradually increase that time.  My goal is to become so comfortable and confident that I will be able to concentrate fully on what I’ll see in Hawaii’s waters.   


 We’ll also be kayaking along Hawaii’s shores.  A year or two ago I kayaked in Florida while looking for manatees.  My life-long strong arms helped me keep up with experienced folks as I began mastering kayak skills.  

When we went to Jekyll Island in February, after about 10 minutes of crashing into shore bushes, muscle memory kicked in.  I’ll have to learn all over again since I can’t practice between now and January.  




On the other hand, I’ll be able to hike a lot before I go.  Fall and Winter are terrific here in Georgia.  The woods are beautiful and the weather is cool.  In Hawaii we'll climb slippery slopes.  I'm thinking of getting telescoping hiking poles.  

 NO DEMENTIA:  For those of you who read my last blog, I’m glad to report my psychologist and physician both agree:  The Big Forget was an age-old reaction to extreme stress.  Compartmentalizing memory.  PTSD reaction.  So it was in my head but just the normal fruitcake response I have now and then.  Whew!


5 comments:

  1. If anyone would like to make a comment, please remember to click the blue "Publish" button so I can read it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, when you are snorkeling in Hawaii, do NOT think about the tiger sharks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've snorkeled with sharks before, but not tiger sharks. Well, I'll have my underwater camera with me so I'll try to get a picture of it!

      Delete
  3. WOW ! SuperWoman is off again to new adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm AdventureWoman, not Super. Just an ordinary old person looking to have yet more adventures while I can still maneuver and think straight!

      Delete