Thursday, December 24, 2015

TRAINING IN SHAMBLES

I’m leaving for Hawaii in two weeks.  I feel grossly unprepared for hiking, snorkeling, and kayaking.  Or is that I’m feeling gross — as in BIG!  

I hoped to lose three pounds and be full of extra muscles when I get on the plane January 7th.  HA!   Normally I weigh about 143 pounds and thought I could lose those pounds for sure.  Yesterday at 6:30 AM, the scale showed 146 pounds.  An hour later, after breakfast, it read:

That can't be right!





My family’s addiction genes are working on me this month.  I want sugar.  I want it, want it, want it!  Cookies people give me, cookies I make myself, cookies I buy.  Dark chocolate with raspberry anything.  Oh, and eggnog!  








Toward the Cliffs


December 12 I went on a five mile hike with three young photographers.  On Raven Cliffs Falls Trail.  Now that was a training experience!


Heron Along Rice Creek










But my only other hike this month was more of a saunter -- about one or two miles along Rice Creek in Victoria Bryant State Park.  



Impromptu Pond In My Yard



Normally I’d be hiking more but it’s been raining so much we’ve got flood warnings.  







And what happened to all the exercises I normally do at the YWCO?  Well, I’ve been exercising my fingers the last two weeks.  I was asked to play the piano Christmas Eve and the Sunday afterwards because all the good pianists were to be out of town.  Practicing for hours at the piano has done nothing for the rest of my body. 

And I’m not too sure about the condition of my mind either.  I cry at the drop of a hat.  See a YouTube of a dog adopted from a shelter: cry.  Overcome with the kindness my friends show each other: cry.  See parents show loving glances at their child, cry. 

Monday I heard and saw our choir sing a most wonderful song about feeling the light inside you, sharing the light, dancing with the light.  I cried in happiness yet again.   Here's a little video about the beautiful Winter Solstice Service:  



And I have no idea which day it is.  Because of all the concerts and dinners and special holiday events, it feels like Saturday every day.  I’m totally undone calendar-wise and forgot to go to one party this week.   Maybe my brain is mildewed from all the rain. 


Native Poinsettia



It’s in the 70’s every day this week.  This morning it was the same temp here as in Honolulu!  Even our Georgia native poinsettia is blooming.   I should have no trouble figuring out what clothing to pack. 






 This month has been so full of beautiful experiences.  Not exactly adventures, but inspiring in other ways.  Singing with the Bethel Choir.  Being so grateful for the talented musicians and singers.  Crying to hear Stephanie and Bernice (my fellow altos) sing lead parts so passionately.   Seeing the children and youth come to see the birthday cake for the Baby Jesus brought out by Pastor Daniel inspired smiles with the tiniest of tears.





Giving the folks at Our Daily Bread a laugh when they saw my propeller hat was gratifying.  Several of the men suggested I needed a motor on it.  The kids were in awe.   We served 200 lunch plates of Will's delicious and healthy food.

Soon I'll get serious again about preparing for my first big adventure of 2016.  But not just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment