Thursday, March 31, 2016

WILDFLOWER ADVENTURES March 23

First of Four Wonderful Days

Hugh Nourse, my hero, and Carol Nourse wrote a wonderful book, Favorite Wildflower Walks in Georgia.  I am determined, before I croak, to see every one.  When I asked where Hugh and Carol stayed when they were scouting out trails in Northwest Georgia, he suggested Mountain Laurel Inn in Mentone, Alabama.   Sarah Wilcox will welcome us there at 3 PM, Alabama time (4 PM Georgia).

Fortunately I have two friends willing to join in on wildflower adventures: Don and Marguerite.  For those who read my last entry, you will understand why I am thrilled that Don is driving.  A good driver, he has a wonderful new car with classical music and opera Serius stations.  Between that and Marguerite’s conversation, we do not mind getting stuck in traffic near Atlanta.  I am lying on the back seat, resting my back from three straight days of weeding.  Last year I trained myself to weed only two hours each day but I forgot the punishment for not following that rule.


Going to Cloudland Canyon for lunch makes sense.  At the office we get directions for the canyon trail, which we like better than the rim trail.  Walking on the rim has many dramatic views but is fairly rocky and shy of flowers.  The bottom of the canyon is an easier walk and full of beautiful plants and two ripply streams.  But first we have lunch and all three of us take pictures of each other taking pictures of the view.  It’s cool up there, almost 1800 feet, and windy.



Getting to Sitton’s Gulch Trail is strange because after we leave the entrance to Cloudland Canyon State Park, we drive down the mountain and through a housing development.  There are caves in this part of the park but, because the State is trying to help bats with the infectious white nose disease, they have closed them to people.   


 Cloudland Canyon is on the Cumberland Plateau, atop Lookout Mountain.  There is only one Lookout Mountain but it is located in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee.   Many of the park amenities were built by the blessed Civilian Conservation Corps.   For more on this beautiful place, check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudland_Canyon_State_Park

Here are photos of parts of the trail and streams.


Marguerite finding butterflies


Just a few of the very large boulders
When we set out on the trail, Don takes off.  M and I take a slower pace so we can study the butterflies, flowers, ferns, and such.  (Here are photographs which I attempt to label correctly using reference books and questions to experts.  Any mistakes are mine.  These are WILD flowers we saw in about two hours.)

Flowers and ferns:

Giant Chickweed

Dwarf Larkspur


Foamflower



Foamflower Closeup


Bouquet of Fiddleheads

Fiddlehead Getting Shade Under May Apple


Long Spurred Violet Front View

Long Spurred Violet with Obvious Spur

Bouquet of Long Spurred Violets with Spring Beauties

Ragwort with Pollinator

Rue Anemone

Rue Anemone Closeup

Spring Beauty



Slender Toothwort (I hope)

Slender Toothwort (I hope) with Leaves

Decumbent Trillium

Several Trout Lilies

Trout Lily Closeup

Whorled Rosinweed

Wild Blue Phlox
Wild Blue Phlox About to Open Fully

Wild Geranium Flower Closeup

Wild Geranium with Leaves

Closeup of Yellow Violet (below)

Halberdleaf Yellow Violet
Mayapple with Bud (They only flower on "twins")

Masses of Mayapples
Possibly Spring Cress
Buckeye getting ready to open
We do not see fast-moving Don again for about 90 minutes or more although he calls M on the phone to assure us he is alive.  When M is ready to rest on a rock by the stream, I set off to find Don.  I see a two foot long black snake with a yellow stripe along its side.  But I scare it to death when I grab my camera; it hides in the leaves.  No Don.  

Some of the beautiful creatures we saw (not counting the snake):

Three Dreamy Duskywing Butterflies Consorting
Question Mark Butterfly


I must have been too noisy because I scared this beautiful snail who was walking along until...  

Here s/he is hiding inside the shell from me.











I think this is a Cabbagewhite Butterfly Hiding from Me
As I begin to ascend a trail with large boulders on my right and a ravine on my left, I see a thin woman descending rapidly, wearing ear phones.  She takes them off when I ask whether she’s seen a man with a blue jacket on her way down.  “Nope.  I met a young man named Clyde, though, as I came down the whole descent.” 

Well, if Don is not in front of me, maybe he took one of the side cave trails.  I return to Marguerite who reports that Don is returning and will meet us in about 20 minutes. 

We amble back.  While we wait near the parking lot, I chat with an older (than me) gent who is walking behind us on a small trail.  He has a cane and uses it to point to the flowers, which he names with authority.  He comes here several times each year, lucky man.  Here are the flowers we saw only on that trail:

Canadian Violet



Oxalis Leaves
Closeup of the Stone Crop (below)

Sedum Stone Crop with Moss
 When Don arrives we set off for our apartment at the Mountain Laurel Inn.  It’s close by and is ever so much nicer than a chain motel (in Trenton, Georgia) where we stayed last year.  Our host welcomes us with information about where to eat, how to walk (walk!) to DeSoto Falls from our place, when to come for breakfast, and maps.  After we take our bags up, we go to DeSoto State Park Grill.  We’re so hungry we eat everything.  I forget what I have because I see a photograph of pitcher plants on the wall.  My iPhone says the rare green mountain pitcher plant has been reported in this park.  No one in the restaurant knows where they can be found but I finally learn that a park guide named Ken can help tomorrow morning.  I’m on the hunt…

Don, Marguerite, and I Perusing the Menu
 On the menu is information about DeSoto State Park, which was also constructed by the blessed CCC.  President Roosevelt was a genius to hire unemployed people during the depression to build this natural heritage.  I wonder whether another President will be so forward thinking and have a cooperative Senate.
It is supposed to rain Thursday, as early as 10:00 AM, so we decide to stay in this area and get an early start.

 Thanks to Dale Hoyt, Don Hunter, and Hugh Nourse for help with correctly identified plants.  If you see any mistakes, please write me in the Comments section so readers will get the correct information, okay?

3 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures, Rosemary! You're really getting good with that closeup lens.
    The butterfly you identified as a cabbage white is far better -- it's a Falcate orangetip! Look at the underside of the hindwing -- greenish gray mottling. the tip of the forewing also has a hook shape -- that's where it gets the Falcate name. Falcate means curved like a sickle. It looks to me like it's on a Toothwort, which is the larval food plant. And I think its a female, to boot. Males have an orange forewing tip, but it's only visible on the upper surface.
    On 3/31/2016 2:08 PM, Rosemary Woodel wrote:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million, Dale, for your expertise and taking the time to educate us all about this special butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A famous conservation botanist says that the plant labelled dwarf larkspur is actually fernleaf phacelia. Thank you famous person.

    ReplyDelete