Tuesday, January 5, 2016

NEARLY READY FOR THE FIRST BIG ADVENTURE OF 2016

It is Tuesday January 5.  I’m leaving for my first 2016 adventure Thursday morning — very early morning.  The Groome van leaves Athens at 2:40 AM!   Should I sleep for 3 hours or try to stay awake the whole time?   How many alarms should I set?

Some Stuff I'll Pack

I’m not packed yet.  I'll need hiking boots,  sneakers and 2 kinds of water shoes but I’ll wear the boots. 

Caryl, who went to Hawaii recently, suggested I bring six pairs of shorts.  I only have four that fit me after my holiday egg nog excess.  I’ve got two peddle pushers which will dry quickly so I’ll pack them.

The Road Scholar program urges us to use "reef-friendly" sunscreen made with titanium oxide or zinc oxide, instead of oxybenzone.  Rash guards and hats are other environmentally-friendly ways to protect oneself from the sun.   I've got all three.


I’ve read the registration info and have tried to remember where we’re going.  We’re navigating and docking on four islands; I remember the names of two of them.

 The boat (a.k.a. yacht) sounds promising: 
                  
•36 guests
•18 cabins
•14-15 crew members
•145 feet in length
•2:1 Guest-to-crew ratio”

“Cabins have heated tile floors in bathroom;  Tempur-Pedic® memory foam mattresses; Flat-screen TV/DVD; and view windows.  A full-beam swim step makes for easy access in the water. Adventure equipment onboard includes kayaks and stand-up paddle boards; snorkels and masks, inflatable skiffs; hiking poles; yoga mats; hydrophone for listening to below-surface sounds. An underwater camera pipes the action to the lounge.” 

Unfortunately, they don’t have any kind of internet other than what my phone can dig up.  I’ll be writing my blog every night and will send it whenever I can from other locations.





Manatee from another Road Scholar Program
 Everyone is wishing me a wonderful trip.  How could it not be exciting and beautiful?  Even if the yacht goes down, or sharks join our evening snorkeling, I’ve got an underwater camera to capture it all.  Bet that video would go viral!

The National Weather Service advises beach goers to exercise caution this week. The 35 foot swells “will likely stir up hazardous conditions near the shore break and dangerous currents in the water. Anyone entering the water could face significant injury or death. Surfers and swimmers should heed all advice given by ocean safety officials.”  Actually a couple in their twenties were injured seriously by one of those big waves coming at them on a promontory.  We’ll be snorkeling and kayaking in bays, which presumably are safer.

I’m continuing to learn more about Hawaii
so I’ll have a framework for the new info I’ll be taught on Hawaiian history, geology, ecology, and culture.  I was stunned to learn how few native Hawaiians live there.  The 2010 census reports:  The state's population identified as 38% Asian; 24% White; 23% from two or more races; 10% Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders; 9% Hispanics and Latinos of any race; 2% Black or African American; etc. There are two official languages:  English and Hawaiian.  From what I’ve read, the high Asian population came about years ago when workers were “imported” for the sugar and pineapple plantations.

The Hawaii Reporter described two faunal oddities this week. 
    They said there were “Wallabies– Yes WALLABIES! The brush-tailed wallabies normally from Australia that are similar to kangaroos.   Someone in the early 1900s brought a pair to Oahu and they escaped. Since then, the marsupials have been reproducing in Kalihi Valley.  Because they are elusive, hiding in the bushes most of the time, people rarely see them.”
    And a little known moth:  “Hummingbird Hawk Moth. These guys are so fast, it is no wonder most people don’t know they exist.  These moths are also known as maile pilau hornworms after the host plant their caterpillars prefer.”  I bet Don Hunter would get a photo! 

Don’t know about that particular moth, but I hope to capture a few butterflies and moths with my $30 close-up lens -- like this of a hungry sulphur.

Some of us fight against invasive exotic plants in Georgia and encourage native plants for many reasons, including encouraging pollinators. 

Wiki has this discouraging news about natives in Hawaii:
    “Hawaii has more endangered species and has lost a higher percentage of its endemic species than any other U.S. state.  One endemic plant, Brighamia, now requires hand-pollination because its natural pollinator is presumed to be extinct.   The two species of Brighamia—B. rockii and B. insignis—are represented in the wild by around 120 individual plants. To ensure these plants set seed, biologists rappel down 3,000-foot cliffs to brush pollen onto their stigmas.” 

YIKES!  Would our Botanical Garden of Georgia  mentors do that?  Maybe Jennifer…



This afternoon I crossed one more thing off my to-do list: “ Get some fives ($5) for the shuttles.”  I was thinking of a bank.  But then I saw the Watkinsville Baskin Robbins.  Gave a $20 bill for a $2.88 cone of Jamoca Almond Fudge.  Perfect!










This little adventure at Watson Mill Bridge actually happened New Year’s Eve.  If you haven’t seen this 2 minute movie, hope you enjoy it.  Debbie and I sure enjoyed "The Sound and the Fury."


If you like this blog, I hope you'll type in and submit your email address up at the top. You'll get a message every time I post a new blog entry.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading more about your adventures, Rosemary! You are such a fine travel journalist (and photographer!)! Have fun and report when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Clela. It's helping my brain a lot. I already notice an improvement in word retrieval.

      Delete