Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Future and Present

I'm preparing to leave for Oregon Thursday.  The biggest effort will be waking up in time to get the shuttle to the airport at 2:40 AM.  I've got three alarms to set for 1:00 AM.  

Meantime, I'm taking photos in our yard in Bishop GA.  Here are a few:  


These are birds' nest mushrooms which grow on wood chips.  They are tiny -- less than 1/2" in diameter -- so you have to get down on your knees just to find them.  These are in various stages of growth.





The orange one has very neat bites taken from it.  Wonder what did that?   The brown one reminds me somehow of an ocean wave.







Milkweed seeds are waiting all in a row to finish drying off for the wind to disperse them.  Monarch butterflies lay their eggs on milkweed so I plant a lot of these Georgia natives.





I had to sneak up on this dragonfly which lounged at the pond.  I tiptoe an inch at a time, holding my camera in front of me, hoping he'll stay put for awhile more.











Isn't this hairstreak butterfly gorgeous?  Using the $30 macro lens which fits on my point-and-shoot camera means I have to get within 3 inches of these flying objects.  Much harder than taking photos of mushrooms or even caterpillars.

I wonder what I'll see in Oregon...



When you've got 10 minutes to spare, take some walks in the North Georgia mountains to enjoy flowers, insects, ferns, the woods, mushrooms, and waterfalls:  https://youtu.be/R3vSg47pbQE.  Don and I just walked there about mid-August.

No comments:

Post a Comment