Monday, September 7, 2015

Hood River and Portland

A.  Adventures in Hood River Oregon

When I was five years old, I met Monica.  That means we've been friends over 69 years.  We both look like we've been living a long life and having adventures.  Different ones, for sure.  Monica negotiates the Portland freeway while her 99 year old boyfriend shouts out directions.  It's the tiniest bit hair-raising.  

We arrive at the second highest year-round waterfall in the United States  Multinomah Falls is a popular attraction because of its beauty and restaurant, where I have my first delicious local salmon.






 

Monica and Sherman in front of the Falls
Hoping for Rain
 Hillsides on the road to Hood River remind me a bit of the Sierra Nevadas but there are evergreen trees as well as the brown grass.  The air is smokey from fires in the North West.  We all hope for rain.  The Columbia River Gorge is dramatic and beautiful.  Out the right window I see ferny forest with birch and dark evergreens.  On the left is the Columbia River, showing wavelets from the wind.  Beyond the river are the craggy hills.  

Monica is currently living in an assisted living facility called Hawks Ridge.  Having visited friends in Athens who have decided to live in an independent or assisted living place, I see many similarities.  I will have no problem making my home in such a setting if needed.  Many interesting men and women keep me good company while Monica and Sherman go on various errands.  We have only breakfasts there:  terrific coffee, juice, egg casseroles, toast and prunes.  

Downtown Hood River has the most upscale Goodwill I could begin to imagine.  Set up by someone like my friend, Eleanor, who knows about merchandising like nobody else, everything is enticing.  But, Jeez, I can't afford a single item of clothing!  I look at one of the five wet-suits (yep, you read that right!), hoping it would be a bargain for my next snorkeling episodes in cool water, I'm shocked to see a price tag of $79.  Well, maybe that's a bargain.


Hood River Downtown

If you don't count the nearby you're-definitely-in-the-West hills, Hood River is a lot like Athens.  Coffee and beer joints with clever names.  Shoppers.  Diners enjoying burgers and quiche outside or in crowded restaurants.  Feels like home.






 
A small, very small, hiking trail in Hood River Heights yields some pretty wildflowers.  It's too small for me to get lost.



















Kite-Boarding on the Columbia River


The three of us have a marvelous time watching kite-boarders on the Columbia River.  The wind is huge: I had to brace my legs not to get blown over.  These young people, wearing wet-suits, became airborne several times.  So colorful and exciting!  A peak adventure just watching.


It's actually a water meter.



   My last solo walkabout.  I don't get lost but I obviously am somewhat off kilter because I think someone's head is in the hole of this turquoise box on the lawn of a Hood River park.





B.  Portland

A delightful Kurdish engineering student drives me from Monica's place to the hotel I picked out in Portland.  We have an enthusiastic and, I think, intelligent discussion about national politics, world affairs, "joys" of academe, and the best food to find in Portland.  I'm a lucky girl!

The Mark Spencer (name reminds me of stores in the U.K.) is quite wonderful, located in the artsy-fartsy Pearl District, near downtown.  View from the window does tell me about the weather.  The bathroom and bed are marvelous.

It's Not Raining


Enticing Bathroom






"Temptation"
Soon after arriving, I go for a walk.  Close by are food carts with delicious international options, even Transylvanian, Polish, and Hawaiian bar-b-q.  Tonight I pick Halal, bringing the lovely lamb gyro with all the fixings back to my room.  What luxury:  eating tasty food, looking at an old James Bond movie, and then a good night's sleep in a fluffy bed.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment