Thursday, September 3, 2015

On the Way to Portland Oregon

All 79 alarm clocks rang at 1:00 AM Thursday morning September 3.  The Groome shuttle took three of us to the ATL airport.  Except for the driver we took naps.  Now it’s 5:00 AM and I’m sitting in Gate D3.  Alaska Airlines will start boarding us at 6:20 AM. 


LATER:  What a beautiful plane!  The inside design looks like someone’s comfy living room.  It couldn’t be leather on those ergonomic chairs but it looked and felt silky and warm.  Especially nice headrest so I unexpectedly napped -- again -- for half an hour or so.  I so dread being seen drooling from a gaping mouth, I was too vigilant to sleep long on this five hour trip.  Also, the crew is very attentive bringing all kinds of things to drink or eat.  We even got a gourmet bag of pretzels:  “apple cinnamon pretzels, caramel macchiato soy nuts and honey roasted sesame sticks”.  I charged a large $7.25 egg/ham/cheese/veg casserole in a bowl.  Much tastier than anything I could have gotten at the Atlanta Airport before boarding.  That is, if anything had been open.  Even the Plane Train doesn’t start until 5 AM.  If you ever need to know...





Quite a different mix of fellow passengers than those who fly to London or other points North.  College students, young families, folks going on to someplace Asian.  The three guys in front of me just came off a Georgia river.  Camouflage caps, plaid shirts, sunburnt necks.   They’re going on their annual salmon fishing trip on an Alaskan river.  The crew that will provide all their fishing equipment up there will also freeze the fish they catch and mail it to them back in Georgia.

Next to me are a mother and daughter who are going on a five day Alaskan cruise.  They’ve never been on a cruise and decided it would better than going to the Bahamas or Caribbean.  Good choice but I’ll be they wish it were longer!


It’s 10:30 AM western time.  I must be in Seattle.  The airport has folk music playing in our gate area.  Folks are wearing jackets.    I’m nibbling on the gourmet pretzels.  If the plane to Portland is on time, we’ll leave at 12:15 PM.  But so far most of the planes are arriving late because of air traffic control problems.  That might work out well cause Monica left voice mail saying she’d forgotten her 99 year old boyfriend, Sherman, has a medical appointment at the V.A. so she might be late to pick me up.  She said I could have a light lunch or snack while I’m waiting for her.  But not to eat much because they want to take me to lunch at a beautiful waterfall location.

  


Even though I’m sure I’ll have more adventures later today I may not be able to write so I’ll prepare this now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment